Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I miss reading days

If I somehow managed to prolong my undergrad career even longer (I studied abroad twice, two majors, a minor, three classes away from minoring in three different subjects but I thought too many minors looked bad), I would be "studying" right now.

Miami generously grants the Monday and Tuesday before exams as class-free and test-free study days.

I usually (always) spend the first one hungover because its right after (semi)formal weekend.  In the evenings, I shop at Macys.  My boss always shared her friends and family pass with me and this is fantastic christmas shopping for moi (studying is stressful). The friends and family sale conveniently falls during both fall and spring semester reading days.

I also studied.  Campus used to, and hopefully still does, set up tents on the green for studying. The library gets packed and I think the tents are quieter. Miami has this slogan "studying can be in-tents" get it intense, in-tents?

Reading days also remind me of Whole Foods because it seemed like food that was good for my mind and I NEEDED to get off campus and treat myself.

Online classes don't give reading days.  1) there are no classes 2) there are no exams....  also, there's no teaching, or as our teacher who teachers us how to teach call it, there are no "guided learning activities".  We're just little fish all by ourselves in a big Chinese sea.

Well enough ranting about how I should be studying.  Time to write a thesis proposal, or do the infinite amount of homework my Chinese tutor gave me, or plan lessons for open house tomorrow... or just go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment