Monday, November 8, 2010

How NOT to buy plane tickets in China.

Other than accidently spelling my name wrong (VERY WRONG) once, I think I have gotten the American airline booking system down to an art, but when it comes to buying plane tickets in China, I am a failure. This post outlines the three obstacles I have faced in ym three atempts to board a plane.

1.  No no you had a reservation not a ticket
So this is what happened when I tried to get to Shenzhen during October holiday.  I arrive at the airport and instead of having three tickets, there is one and it is not for.  After paying way too much to buy a ticket standby during a week long national holiday, I find out that they charged me anyways.  I got the charge removed but still that was wayyyy too much undo stress. So much I willk refer you to my Hong Kong summary post rather than outline the horrors again.

2. Delivery time is whenever we want
So after printing my email confirmation to find it was just a reservation and not a ticket, I decided to use the same service, but have my ticket to Chengdu delivered.  I checked delivery at 8pm and I got an email saying they would come between 8-9.  Nope they came at 6.  Thankfully my roommates were home and got the ticket but they didn't have cash so I have no idea how I paid for it.  The guy said credit card but since my work debit card only has an account number on it, no name, no expiration date or security number, I know it is not on that card.  At least I have a ticket and I am going to see the pandas tomorrow!... hopefully.

3. Send us your passport... again... and again
Becuase of geopolitics and Chinese and Japanese people HATING each other... a round trip ticket from Shanghai to Tokyo cost more than a roundtrip ticket from Albany, New York to Tokyo (I looked itno this because my mom should meet me in Tokyo---PUHLEASE!).  However, this outrageous cost compared to my measly income will not deter me. 
Kayak.com, which for those of you who do not know is an awesome search engine that searches multiple airlines, told me the cheapest flight was $2000 for a one way (I am looking to take the ferry from Korea to Japan and then fly from Japan to Shanghai). Well china southern airlines had a flight for $450 but I couldn't book it online. After days of rejection, I asked my Chinese co-worker if she would call for me.  I apparently "made a reservation" (meaningless words) but they needed me to e-mail them my passport, so I did.  Then the call me while I am on the train to Hangzhou and tell me I need to e-mail them my passport.  So I do, again.  Then, on my way home from Hangzhou I get another call, we need you to e-mail us your passport.  I told them I emailed it to them twice and they give me the same address to try again.  So here I am, still waiting, hoping maybe I will have an actual plane ticket, and not a reservation.

So perhaps I am going to Japan?

And perhaps when I get to the airport to go to Chengdu tomorrow they will let me on the plane?

I am go to Chengdu AKA the middle of China, alone for a week so if you don't hear from me... I guess I miscalculated on using more of my 9 lives ('Nam.... Halloween fire....)

WISH ME LUCK!

I'll say hi to the pandas for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment