Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reared on the heights of Ida

Yes, those are the first words of the Emma Willard School's alma mater which, like everything else, the class of '06 dominated at reunion last weekend.  How do I know this? Because for one thoroughly enjoyable week I returned to my homeland.

In all it seemed like a pretty bad idea, spend $1000, travel for 24 hours, spend 8 days home, travel for 24 hours.  However, the expense and the leg, back and neck cramps from extended airplane travel were the least of my problems.  I am not totally undeniably homesick. I only have two weeks left to teach but I have zero motivation.  I always want to but my all into whatever I am doing and right now I have nothing to give because I am completely worn out.  The good sense involved with my going home was that I could bring back my  overweight suitcases and travel without much luggage on my intense summer eurotrip but now, I simply don't want to travel anymore.  Send me home.  Transport me home.  Now.

Upstate New York is not an exciting place to live but it is beautiful.  After traveling fro 23 hours, my first glance of upstate from the sky was rejuventating. The grass is green (not yellow green like in New Jersey) and the sky is blue.  Once of the plane my lungs were filled with the freshest crisp air (not the smoke infused air of Shanghai or Los Angeles- lay over one). Most importantly, everyone I care about is there, or was at least there for the weekend thanks to reunion!

So I had a twenty hour flight to think back on the past week and the past five years from my plush first class seat (My flight from Albany was delayed, I got put on a direct Chicago-Shanghai flight, bypassing my layover in Los Angeles, and upgraded.  Unfortunately my suitcase did not get upgraded and has been lost in transit!). One source of remorse is my lack of direction.  I went to high school with some very ambitious and successful people.  It doesn't surprise me at all where most people have ended up in five years.  Perhaps that they aren't surprised that I'm still floating through life without any plan. At least I am doing something "different" by working in China.  Which bring me to second source of remorse:  Landing in fithy China 8,000 miles from home.  My bedroom looks like it was pillaged since I left in a fuss and well, it was actually pillaged since a book and my lamp are now missing. <3 roommates. Not that they had any reason to go in my room but things are missing and my windows were open.  I purposely closed the windowas to keep the smoggy air from leaving dust all over my room but someone in this apartment opened all the windows, and the screens too which is why I have been spending the last two nights fighting China bugs in my sleep.  Yes, these are the factual story tellings that make people in China mad at me. I honestly have nothing to say to them so I will just silently wait for the next two weeks to pass by.

Best friends in New York City.  New Yorkers are so honest.  You can hide a bottle of wine in a bush in Manhattan and no one will steal it ;)

 Since my camera is in New York these pictures have been stolen from Jessica King, the first member of my class to post reunion pictures.  Actually I suppose they have been stolen from Facebook since once pictures are uploaded, they become Facebook's property. I will add more pictures in 2 weeks to 3 months-- however long it takes me to get back home.



Sitting on the senior triangle! Even under construction the campus is beautiful


After all those years of Emma Willard telling us alcohol was the devil's water (including Model UN trips in Canada where we easily passed as legal) we are treated to an open bar

the 30 happy souls who made their way back to Mt. Ida

From a house parent :)
Our reunion gift was Emma Willard tote bags, and we put them to good use.
Emma Willard brings out the lesbian in people
Fae and Rachel wearing green for the class parade.  We rock at monochrome.
Just like at Ring dinner where we had Sophmore note passers we can turn a formal dinner into something crude


In other news,  I apologize for a taking a leave of absense from blogging.  While some people have been offended by my highly factual storytelling, I have some good friends and family memebers who grew to be avid readers and these are the people who actually matter.  For those who care, and that I care about as welll,  I am sorry I left you hanging.  I will do my best to cover some lost material. Thanks for the company this week and for the continued support! Lauryn Johnson this post is for you ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment