Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Goodbye Zhongguo!

I am leaving China. I AM LEAVING CHINA!!!

The excitement is only half-hearted. China has never been, and will never be home, but we had some good times.  There are so many opportunities here.  I wish I wasn't so lazy or bus with school work that I could have became more involved in things.  Yes, I know there's still time!  I don't have a plane ticket and I can walk back from Europe! Perhaps we will meet again but for now, I will pay tribute to the best and worst of Shanghai.

What I will miss:
  • (Some of) My students.  They really are adorable.
  • This city is safe.  Dirty, but safe.  
  • The clean subway.  It's still no Hong Kong but it gets you there fast.
  • Hao laoshi (yes her last name is Hao as in "good" teacher) and other Chinese people thinking I know more Chinese than I actually do.  I guess I will still have this in America since people have wild assumption on how well I speak Chinese.
  • 3-4 co-workers I made my top 3 list.  At least I made some friends in China.  I know, I am a clingy judgmental girl who at the end of the day, likes to surround herself with similar people.
  • Milk tea.  I think I will go get one after I write.  In a very dark time in my life I was up to one a day.


What I won't miss:
  • Pollution.  GROSS
  • Terrible weather.  The winter was so cold and now the heat and humidity are deadly.  Plus there is never any escape; the insulation sucks and so do the air systems.
  • Illiteracy.  I like to read.
  • The repressive rules of my school.  I'm Catholic.  I feel guilt. If someone tells me to be at work from 8-4:30, I generally am, even if it involved endless hours of boredom.
  • Fake shit.  I can't believe I own it.  My will power is weak. My whole theory on Shanghai is that its not just the designer bags, clothes, and shoes that are fake.  It's EVERYTHING.  the food, the alcohol and I even think this whole feel of Pearl of the East is a load of bullshit.  You can't be Hong Kong or New York or even Tokyo you faker.
  • My Chinese friends.  What Chinese friends?  We're just too different. No one wants to date a Chinese man, not even a Chinese girl which is why they pathetically cling to foreign guys. The chicks are either just plain boring, or way too slutty, even for me.
  • Finally, my roommates.  I feel awful that my last goodbye to them was filled with cusing me out for being lazy and rude since I left a few things in my room as I was moving out.  I was stressed.  I needed to get out of that hell hole. Plus, there was no security desposit to get back and knowing these kids honesty, if there was, I would never see it.  I'm not actually that rude but I simply don't care about them.  I've never burned bridges before so this is something new.  Anyways, go to hell bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment