Wednesday, June 29, 2011

MOCKBA

Greetings from Moscow!

I would greet you in Russian but I don't know how.  In fact I only know three words kame'n' (rock), nozhyci (scissor) and bumaga (paper).  Kate and I learned these words (and actually a few others) in the local languages of Korea, Japan and China. We make good bar buddies.

It is actually quite difficult to get around Moscow without knowing any Russian. At least the "real" Asians recognize their language is difficult and post bilingual signs.  I thank my days in the Greek system for being able to pronounce some words.

The first sentence of the Moscow section of Lonely Planet Russia says that "Moscow is a city of superlatives.  It is the most expensive and rudest city in the world".  Well so far the Russian have come across as far and away more polite than the Chinese and the prices have been bearable.

What they didn't mention is that the Russians are SMOKIN HOT.  Every single one of them.  Life is not fair.  I've also been in white people withdrawl.  However, I have seen white people in Asia, lots of them.  In Russia I have to look long and hard to find a minority.  Even the maids are white.  That SHOCKED me.  I haven't seen a white maid since.... forever.


Today Kate and I walked to the Kremlin only to be told most of the exhibits were closed for the day.  We settled on seeing the Cathedral square and getting some hearty Russian food.  Tomorrow we have a free tour, and want to see the Pushkin art museum and Museum of State History.

I bought THE BEST THING EVER.  It's so good I don't even know if I want to tell you. Sigh ok I will tell you.  UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI HURRICANE BABUSHKA DOLLS.  Yes, babushka dolls with 5 players from the University of Miami football team painted on them, one inside the other. In RUSSIA.  Price does not matter.  I would buy them for everyone but my bag already weighs me down and might combust.  GO CANES.

Anyways we are off to paint the town red (get it, red, Bloshevicks, Commies).  Sunset is at at eleven freakin o'clock and rises at 4:30 so rest easy, there are few opportunities for me to get mugged (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment