Sunday, April 17, 2011

Who's the boss? I AM.

Since Chinamen lie and my reserved ticket to Phuket doubled in price over night, I have that instead of spending my money on the beach, I will spend it paying people to do my homework.  When I told my mother this, I thought she would question my academic integrity and I jumped to saying that my professor actually recommended we hire research assistants.  However, she was not scolding me.  She was pleased that I "am a boss".

Frenchie's Research Consultancy. Employees: Three... make that two.  I posted an ad on Echinacities.com looking for a research assistant.  Three of my classmates saw the ad, they made comments, but were not at all eager to do extra homework. Anyways, I actually got almost 20 responses! It was fun to read through resumes.  Interestingly, few Chinese people submitted a cover letter.  I just got emails with no text in the body and a resume attached. They did not hear back from me.  I also head from some foreigners such as one former fraternity president who speaks Spanish and studies Chinese right behind my apartment (we should get in touch... for drinks-- would it be weird if I paid him after?).

Since I was suppose to be going to Phuket next weekend (RIP beach vacation) I wanted to do research this weekend and I took the first two candidates with good resumes who were available. My assistants were suppose to collect 100 surveys and compensated two kuai (30 cents) a survey.  I must suck as an employer because one quit after twenty minutes. 

These are usually the kind of days that piss me off... you know, days in China... bad employees and bad airplane ticket selling men who won't let you go to Phuket for less than your month's salary. But as I right to you from an outside table at Cest La Vie Cafe right on Nanjing Xi Lu life is good. It doesn't hurt that I have a DUNKIN DONUTS(!!!!) coffee in hand and I am waiting on my baked pasta mmmmmm!
IMG_0064
Yes that is ketchup on top.  At least they got the coffee right.

No comments:

Post a Comment