Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sing us a song you're the copy man

Fact: Christmas never ends in Asia.
 
I established this theory two months and the evidence holds true.
Yesterday I finally ventured back to my gym.  I was on a long hiatus since the weather got decent (I won't say nice, not with all the pollution and RADIATION) and I have been running outside.  Guess what song was playing as I strolled into the locker room.  The Christmas Song (Chesnuts roasting on an open fire).  Instrumental.  Kenny G style.

Further evidence from the week of April 11 (15 weeks after Christmas?) comes from the multi-talented Huang Laoshi.  JCID school has a very strange way of operating.  One case is that the entire school operates on just one printer.  If it breaks, as it often does, well I guess those kids aren't having a quiz today after all (you come into the classroom greeted like a hero but leave feeling stupid because its pretty hard to plan a calc lesson off cuff).  Thankfully we have Huang Laoshi, the most cheerful and multitalented person I have met in China. Although he speaks minimal english beyond the words "copy? and "how many?" he was once heard saying "Long live the People's Republic of China" in perfectly accented English.  Legend has it Huang Laoshi used to be the music teacher.  I am not sure if this is true or how/why he got demoted to copy man.  His current job responsibilities include taking the one copy that we are allowed to print from the ink jet printer and make copies on the larger photo-copy machines.  What he actually does 95% of the time varies.  Sometimes he is playing pool on the computer, sometimes he's in the hallways playing piano, erdu (a Chinese instrument) or most recently accordion.  I feel as though the accordion is extremely out of place in China.  Furthermore, his song selection is even more strange.  Yesterday he was playing Yankee Doodle and today Jingle Bells, furthering my educated theory that Chirstmas never ends in China.  In Huang Laoshi's words, "American? 对吗?"  
 
 We no longer have Christmas or religious or seasonal songs.  Jingle Bells has been reclassified as an American song (and it sounds great on the accordion).

No comments:

Post a Comment