Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ni zhu zai Shanghai ma? Weishenme!?

Co-work/classmate Mr. John teaches SAT Prep and had his students do a practice essay with the prompt "Is happiness a choice?".  Funny thing was one of his students actually wrote in Italian and another wrote in Korean.  Mr. John's essay got me thinking, its time to cheer up. After all, I am in it for the long haul.
 
I'll tell you what doesn't help: a couple dozen margaritas.  However, spending the evening at Samantha and Leila's apartment eating homemade enchiladas, baking brownies and buying the entire season of True Blood for $2 is definitely a pick me up. Thank you ladies :)  I love the Wednesday nights ladies nights(in or out).
 
In a mist of a mild breakdown it seemed like a good time to reconsider my reasons for coming here.
 
1. Adventure
When asked at interviews to describe myself in three words, I might switch up the other two but I always include adventurous.  I'm pretty sure they don't hear that one often and that's good. Sometimes, friends like Hilary confuse this with being a hippie.  I shave my legs, wear heels and try to respect the laws of society (especially in China where thousands of people are executed each year).  Not a hippie.  I just like to have fun. 
I consider any atypical journey outside the house an adventure; praying GPS will lead me to a new restaurant, failing miserably to make a short cut to Miami International Airport, , driving one hour for cinnamon buns (Sabrina Ally!) or hiking a mountain.. twice (Brittany).  Needless to say I try to take my friends on adventures but I make some solo trips too (Vietnam).
 
2. Freedom
Freedom is leaving my stubborn little self saying I don't need anyone. Now I am trying to believe it. There are times I want to get away from everyone, including people I love.  As if going to college 1500 miles away was a little too close for comfort, I decided to take on Asia. 
 In my mind this is Asia round two.  Round one was spent on skype/writing e-mails to a boy back home.  So even though I REALLY miss people back home, this will not be a repeat.  I made sure of that.
 
3.  Chinese. 
I FAIL AT THIS.  FAIL FAIL FAIL.  I would tell you how much i suck in Chinese but I don't know how. Chinese would rank higher but really, my thought of going to a Spanish speaking country were too strong for learning a language to take precedence over 1 and 2. Anyways i start 1-1 tutoring on Sunday. woo.  Now I can finally buy bubble tea without getting laughed at.
 
4. MASTERS IN INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
....from some school in Irvine, California.
A useful took when applying for those government jobs.  ::cough:: state department ::cough cough::  Hopefully it has its merits and all these bullshit homework assignments and BLACKBOARD JOURNAL ENTRIES will pay off.
 
5. TEACHING....
more like #9284773657345 way at the bottom of list.
Should schools hire teachers this bad?  NO.   I am too busy with issues 1-4 (ok 1-3) to care.
I really enjoyed teaching my freshman at UM and I thought maybe I could live this journey out globally and leap frog from country to country. I want to travel but I never want to teach math again.  I'd also like to teach somewhere my students didn't act like spoiled  BABIES.
 
 
Now take 24 hours in a day and try to fit in all these reasons.  Can't do it.  That is why I am an awful teacher. 
 
Will I get fired?
No.
Will I still get paid?
Yes.
Will I fail my practicum course?
No.
 
Therefore, nothing will change.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment