Sunday, July 17, 2011

Spirituosengeschäft, Sachertorte and other long words

We, well I, the sole travel planner, were/was drawn to Vienna mostly because it was there.  German culture/influence and the Hapsburg family have eluded me my whole life (ok well until I met the one charming Swiss guy). 

So Vienna is there. On the map.  With the gifted guidance of my former roommate and one time Viennese resident Natalie we would also be there. With a map. 


There was a bit of excitement in leaving Eastern Europe, if only for three days (Hungary and Slovakia both deserved some good time). Unfortunate, we left Prague in such a state that Vienna was a heavily greased and floured blur.


We stayed in the super super awesome apartment of Christian, Gregor and Karina.  The apartment was in a good location, right by Schoenbrunn Palace, which we went to our first day in the city. 

That evening we went out with our host Gregor to a house part of his friends.  Gregor warned us that the house was in the poor section of town but to us it was glorious.  He is friends (girls) lived in an old three floor house.  The house next door was vacant so we didn’t have to worry about being too loud as we sat in the enclosed courtyard listening to music surrounded by candles, good food and a selection of drinks.

Gregor’s friends spoke good English and were friendly and we met up with them the next night to watch the USA v. Japan women’s world cup championship.  My fascination and overly romanticized view of  World War II  led me to read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and I just started Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts, both books about WWII. My recent reading lead me to make the private comment to Kate that "some alliances are hard to kill (Germany/Japan)" as mostly everyone in the bar was cheering for Japan. I don’t like losing but when I saw the faces of the Japanese champions I thought of my adorable little Japanese students. 

The next day we took a tour of Vienna, relaxed (we were pretty warn out) I honestly don't remember much of the tour and it was the one tour all summer that WE ACTUALLY PAID FOR.

Great so we are tired, full on fatty schnitzel and the best chocolate cake ever and have to bike 400 miles.  WHAT DO I DO TO MYSELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment