Thursday, August 4, 2011

From Sex tourist to farmer in 24 hours


I can't speak for Kate but I wasn’t really a sex tourist in Amsterdam. Its AMSTERDAM so I could have been (if I wanted to).

Kathryn left me this morning on a plane bound for the United States.  She is returning to China next year and is spending some time home and watching her friend get married before that. 

My future plans include 3.5 weeks on a farm in Spain, then going to Tomatina, a very large tomato fight near Valencia in Spain, and then a giant mystery (go to Portugal? Morocco? tour Spain?) and somehow make it to Munch for Oktoberfest and my flight to the US on September 18.  Oh and that also includes a 22 hour layover in London.  

When in Prague, the home of Franz Kafka, I read the Metamorphisis and found this appropriate quote “The traveling is arduous but without it I couldn’t live”. I guess it makes all the expensive flights, cheap hostels and layovers worth it.

So back to farming. The farm that I will be working on is the town of Guaro, it is a town of 2,000 people one hour from Marbella and two hours from Malaga (the airport) in Costa del Sol on the Mediterranean. Well those cities are on the “Sun coast” and I will be in the Sierra Nieve (snow) mountains.

Since Guaro is so small and not a hot tourist destination, there are only three buses a day from the city.  Unfortunately, my flight comes in too late (at 7pm!) so I will have to wait until the next day to get to the farm.  I haven’t been communicating with the people on the farm too frequently so this was recent news to me.  I should go stay in a hostel but since I am cheap and don’t see the point of staying for the night and not enjoying the city and the people I am going to Couchsurf... ALONE. I talked with this girl Desiree who works at the airport (perfect) and will be picking me up there (more perfect).  She’s going to the States next week as a Fullbright scholar (wow) so hopefully I can give her some advice in return.

Well it is time for my vuelo (flight) with Vueling (supposedly flying?) airline.  CHAO. (the spanish use an a "h" instead of "i")


No comments:

Post a Comment