Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Let's get physical, physical!

Yesterday was my first day of orientation at Jin Cai International school and today, in order to work legally, all of the new teachers had to get a physical.  I was forewarned that the process was "invasive" and included a lot of "poking and proding" which stired up some fear.  As I was waiting in line I chatted with a typical Floridian Jewish old man who was there so his hot Chinese wife could get a physical for her US visa.  He was very open about how he would never get a physical from a Chinese doctor and how the whole country is run by liars and crooks. As if I wasn't already dreading getting blood drawn for the first test, this totally set me off. After the blood test, I went downstairs for a full body x-ray and a "operation check" where I was asked several times if I have ever had an operation. Then both males and femals had to get an ultrasound.  The final test was an eye exam, the only test that seemed half way normal when comparing it to a regular physical back home.  I remember physicals in the school nurses office back in high school where they would hit knees with a small hammer then call it a day.  I was told that when the results come we are all going to be told to lose weight and change our diets.  Oh well, we can't all look like Chinese women.

After the physical we returned to school by bus, famished since we were told not to eat or drink past 10pm the night before.  There were more new teacher meetings after lunch from 1-4.   I spent some time in between meetings working on my math course outline. Ellyse, my co-worker/classmate at Concordia, reminded me that I need to start thinking in high school mode again.  Whereas in college we would cover a chapter in a single class,  I have an entire semester to cover four chapters in my class.  Tons more lesson planning to do tonight so I better get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment